Sunday, May 29, 2011

Carine Roitfeld New Ventures


On my previous post I mentioned an interview with former Paris Vogue Editor-in-Chief Carine Roitfeld done by Dirk Standen for a style.com article “The Future of Fashion, Part Seven: Carine Roitfeld”. The former editor has been one of the most influential women in fashion and her unexpected leave from one of the most profitable books had a great shock to everyone. After her decade long run for Vogue she now works freelance, something she finds “Exciting”. I consider Roitfeld as one of the most powerful contemporary fashion influencers we have right now, as she is known to have friends in high places. Influential to Riccardo Tisci, Karl Lagerfeld and fashion photographer Mario Testino she has become one of today’s most prestigious editors in the fashion industry.

In this interview she talks about the excitement of starting something fresh, a new adventure after working with Vogue for such a long time. Stanten asks about her future plans in the industry, and where does she see the industry gearing towards after her ten year run. She answers by going back to her last issue as she describes young talent as the future:
My last issue is the March issue, and it’s dedicated to young designers, no advertisers, just young designers, because I think they really need the support…When you meet these kids, you learn a lot from them, and I think it gives them a lot of positive energy…I definitely want to work on a project with young designers, not just French but international…I grew up and I think I have better ideas than I had ten years ago. [For the last ten years] I didn’t have a lot of time to think about the big picture or how fashion is going to be in some years. Now it’s a good moment for me to think about fashion for today, because a lot of things have changed, and when you’re working you don’t see all these things changing. But when you stop, you can see it. You have to understand the new way of working with fashion.

Since this interview she has announced she will be working with Chanel this fall and also taking part as design editor for the Barney’s New York window advertisements. What may come from this woman is unexpected but that is why she is so profitable, she has a sense of vision found very rare in today’s society. Her chic style will continue to influence designers and fashion goers everywhere and like she says “Always I will be a risky woman. I will keep this legend.”

Comments?

Photo Credit: Hedi Slimane for New York magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment